Associate Counsel, Intellectual Property
Under Armour is all about performance. Because what we make empowers athletes in every form to push themselves, to turn good into great, and to stay hungry for whatever comes next. And this is exactly what we expect from each other.
Working with us means one key thing: no matter what you do, you see every day and every project as a chance to push your field forward. In every store and every office, we build teams where everyone is an MVP. And together we tackle every challenge head on. Because we work to push the gear, the game, and ourselves farther.
We’re looking for people who do more than good work.
We’re looking for the Best in Every Game.
Under Armour is the chosen brand of this generation of athletes... and the athletes of tomorrow. We're about performance - in training and on game day, in blistering heat and bitter cold. Whatever the conditions, whatever the sport, Under Armour delivers the advantage athletes have come to demand.
That demand has created an environment of growth. An environment where building a great team is vital. An environment where doing whatever it takes is the baseline and going above and beyond to protect the Brand is commonplace.
The world's hungriest athletes live by a code, a pledge to themselves and everyone else: Protect This House... I Will. Our goal is to Build A Great Team! Will YOU…Protect This House?!
The Associate Counsel will provide the spectrum of IP legal support to supported business units in accordance with his/her responsibilities, focusing on trademark and design clearances as well as other intellectual property issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Counsel supported business units on IP strategy, e.g., U.S. and international product screenings to determine availability of proposed trademarks, taglines, product names, product designs and other consumer facing content
- Prepare, prosecute or manage significant volume of IP matters with US and foreign Intellectual Property offices
- Provide support on a broad range of IP matters, including domestic and international trademark clearance, design clearance, copyrights, enforcement, disputes, transactions and settlements.
- Conduct preliminary and online investigations into potential trademark infringements
- Draft legal documents, including cease and desist letters, fame affidavits, and Notices of Opposition
- Liaise with outside law firms, vendors and internal business partners as needed for pending IP matters
- Provide education and proactive counseling to the business to minimize risks and enhance IP protection
- Willingness to work as part of a team and ability to work independently
- Strong project management abilities and organizational skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of highly sensitive and confidential material
- Detail oriented with the ability to manage multiple priorities
- Ability to manage large caseload with time sensitive reporting requirements
Education and/or Experience
- 2-5 years of experience in-house or law firm focusing on intellectual property (including trademarks, copyrights, marketing and the ability to identify patent issues)
- J.D. and active member of a state bar in good standing
- Registration as a USPTO patent attorney is a plus, but not required
At Under Armour, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Under Armour believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.