Sustainability Manager, Eastern Hemisphere
Under Armour is all about performance. Because what we make empowers athletes in every form to push themselves, to turn good into great, and to stay hungry for whatever comes next. And this is exactly what we expect from each other.
Working with us means one key thing: no matter what you do, you see every day and every project as a chance to push your field forward. In every store and every office, we build teams where everyone is an MVP. And together we tackle every challenge head on. Because we work to push the gear, the game, and ourselves farther.
We’re looking for people who do more than good work.
We’re looking for the Best in Every Game.
Under Armour is the chosen brand of this generation of athletes... and the athletes of tomorrow. We're about performance - in training and on game day, in blistering heat and bitter cold. Whatever the conditions, whatever the sport, Under Armour delivers the advantage athletes have come to demand.
That demand has created an environment of growth. An environment where building a great team is vital. An environment where doing whatever it takes is the baseline and going above and beyond to protect the Brand is commonplace.
The world's hungriest athletes live by a code, a pledge to themselves and everyone else: Protect This House... I Will. Our goal is to Build A Great Team! Will YOU…Protect This House?!
The SPM will assist in developing and implementing a robust and consistent Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Sustainability program and to help improve factory assessments and develop capacity building activities for social compliance assessors and the supplier base. Under the direction of the CSR/Sustainability Vice-President, the SPM-EH will help to align UA’s sourcing/purchasing practices with the Fair Labor Association’s (FLA) Workplace Code of Conduct and benchmarks and its Principles of Fair Labor and Responsible Sourcing and to integrate the FLA Code and the Principles within UA’s sourcing/purchasing practices. The SPM will directly work with suppliers, agents and licensors/licensees to ensure compliance with the FLA Code and Benchmarks, the Under Armour Supplier Code of Conduct, conduct and ensure Human Rights due diligence, environmental compliance, best practices and innovation and compliance other standards, all applicable laws and to build and to enhance systems and provide related capacity building to ensure sustainable compliance with same. The SPM will also provide clerical, research, analytical and administrative support in the assigned regions and organize, execute and supervise all operations of any assigned regional staff.
Essential Duties and Key Responsibilities:
- Successfully drafting, executing and implementing a plan, related SOPs, capacity building, education, guidance materials, and internal and external structures to enhance CSR/Sustainability program to meet FLA accreditation program requirements (including supplier compliance with the Under Armour Supplier Code of Conduct, the FLA Workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Benchmarks and, internally, compliance with the Principles of Fair Labor and Responsible Sourcing, including, and in particular Principle 8 (meeting or exceeding benchmarks and KPIs);
- Actively contribute to the development and enhancement of the overall CSR/Sustainability program by conducting related research, program analyses, program benchmarking;
- Scheduling supplier audits with independent external assessors, tracking receipt of audit reports, preparing corrective action plans, assessing responses to corrective action plans until completion;
- Assisting in gathering, preparing compiling, tracking and analyzing supply chain and audit data; obtaining, revising and updating program and contractual policies, procedures and transactional documents;
- Providing logistical and scheduling support to assessment, remediation and capability building; tracking, reviewing and processing program expenses including auditor fees, membership fees, vendor fees;
- In coordination with the CSR/Sustainability Vice-President, develop strategies to engage with relevant civil society organizations in countries of manufacture;
- Assisting in program and related communications and reporting to internal and external stakeholders including web-based and GRI related reports/communications and related Human Rights due diligence and reporting;
- Performing related program implementation, alignment and other tasks concerning Under Armour licensors, agents and licensees and other business partners;
- Help develop or maintain communication channels with governmental officials and Civil Society Organizations/Non-governmental organizations with the purpose of seeking advice about local regulations in key manufacturing countries, conducting macro and micro-level human rights and other due diligence, crafting remediation and capacity building programs;
- Assist and provide advice, when needed, to the CSR/Sustainability Vice-President in engagements with stakeholders and suppliers regarding allegations concerning/investigation and remediation of, and capacity building to address alleged factory conditions/including freedom of association, industrial/labor relations issues;
- Facilitate meetings and/or attend networking opportunities and represent UA at meetings and professional gatherings, as deemed appropriate.
- Regular travel to supplier locations, meetings, UA offices and other locations as needed.
- Help to develop and Implement Sustainability Program
- Help to develop and Implement a Human Rights Policy and related procedures, structures and due diligence
- Assist with developing and implementing a traceability program including Tier 2 assessments and beyond and supporting UA’s Conflict Mineral obligations and implementing its Conflict Mineral Policy
In order to perform this job successfully, the incumbent must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- College Degree; Graduate Degree (helpful);
- 5-10 years of experience in Corporate Social Responsibility/Labor/Human Rights programs including factory level assessments and headquarter level program, management and analytical work; investigations and remediations, analysis and capacity building and internal and external reporting;
- Expertise in Occupational Health & Safety and Environmental Management Systems and Protection;
- Extensive experience in leading or conducting social compliance assessments; particularly in the development of assessment methodologies;
- Excellent knowledge of Root Cause Analysis and experience in providing sustainable improvement recommendations to improve workplace conditions;
- General knowledge and understanding of ILO Conventions, local laws and regulations in manufacturing countries;
- Experience in driving timely remediation of all areas of non-compliances and on-going improvements of workplace conditions;
- Significant understanding of production processes for apparel, footwear and equipment supply chains;
- Experience in developing and implementing CSR training programs for field assessors and factory capacity building;
- Experience with the Higg Index and related evaluations and assessments;
- Human Rights due diligence experience;
- Experience in collaborative work to address Sustainability and CSR challenges and issues as well as proficiency in related evaluative tools, scoring and reporting.
- Living in, traveling in/to, knowledge of business/living/production conditions in major sourcing countries and regions
- Excellent analytical skills to help contribute to the enhancement of the CSR/Sustainability Program
- Prior, significant work experience with CSR and Sustainability data platforms and databases and tools
- Ability to manage work remotely and independently
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to operate in a multi-cultural environment
- Conflict resolution ability, negotiation skills and sound judgment
- Ability to manage staff remotely
- Highly proficient in MS Office software, e.g. Excel, Word and skilled in PowerPoint
- Social Compliance Database management skills.
Excellent command of English as well as a second language (Fluency in Chinese important, as would be Vietnamese and/or Indonesian depending on spoken language in the assigned region).
Demonstrated ability to make business related and financial calculations, use Excel for same.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb and stoop.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is ideally based in the Eastern Hemisphere, however other locations may be considered, including the UA Corporate Headquarters in Baltimore, MD, USA.
Will need to travel at least periodically and occasionally frequently to supplier regions and locations, to UA Headquarters and/or offices, and to third party offices, locations and meeting.
Under Armour is an equal employment opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to the following legally protected characteristics: race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military/veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal law. We assure you that your opportunity for employment with Under Armour depends solely on your qualifications.