Senior Lead Software Engineer
Under Armour is all about performance. Because what we make empowers athletes in every form to push themselves, to turn good into great, and to stay hungry for whatever comes next. And this is exactly what we expect from each other.
Working with us means one key thing: no matter what you do, you see every day and every project as a chance to push your field forward. In every store and every office, we build teams where everyone is an MVP. And together we tackle every challenge head on. Because we work to push the gear, the game, and ourselves farther.
We’re looking for people who do more than good work.
We’re looking for the Best in Every Game.
Under Armour is the chosen brand of this generation of athletes... and the athletes of tomorrow. We're about performance - in training and on game day, in blistering heat and bitter cold. Whatever the conditions, whatever the sport, Under Armour delivers the advantage athletes have come to demand.
That demand has created an environment of growth. An environment where building a great team is vital. An environment where doing whatever it takes is the baseline and going above and beyond to protect the Brand is commonplace.
The world's hungriest athletes live by a code, a pledge to themselves and everyone else: Protect This House... I Will. Our goal is to Build A Great Team! Will YOU…Protect This House?!
AtUnder Armour, we’re buildingsoftware to power the future of connected fitness. We’re serious about individual growth and athlete achievement, and we’d like you to join us to build real products that will help millions of people improve their lives through better health & fitness. You will learn, grow, and play in an environment that focuses on results and delivery, all backed by one of the strongest consumer brands in history.
We're looking to add a new Senior Lead Engineer to our Foundation Engineeringorganization, which powers an ecosystem of over 200M athletes, fitness enthusiasts, and people pursuing a healthy lifestyle. In this role, you willwork across teams tobuild services, tools, and libraries that enable our developers and partners to fulfill Under Armour’s mission to make all athletes better.We build the systems that our engineers(andour Partners’ Engineers)build on top of, and we care deeply about their stability and developer experience.
In this role, you will:
- Design, build, and maintain services that are critical to Under Armour’s Digital Ecosystem
- Mentor Engineers across Foundation Engineering, leveling up the team
- Work across teams and up and down the stack to understand how to improve our services, and the developer experience associated with them, and get that work on our roadmaps
- Build the vision of what our Foundation is today and what the future looks like
Projects you could work on:
The work of Foundation Engineering is often not front and center with our users, but if it fails, it becomes obvious very quickly. We’re focused on reducing our MTTD and MTTR and making our services increasingly resilient to failures in other parts of the infrastructure. We don't have the scale of a huge Internet company, but we have a lot of users and nontrivial request volumes that make it hard to debug issues quickly. We’re passionate about Cloud Native tech and are looking for more ways to participate in that community.
- Overhaul our Kafka infrastructure: we need to take a fresh look at how we run Kafka and see how to make that more efficient and easier for our Engineers to use.
- Distributed tracing and canaries for all: reduce the fear of deploying code by leveraging metrics and systems like flux and flagger to show how we can incrementally roll out changes.
- Rethinking bulkheads and circuit breakers: a lot of our services are sensitive to issues upstream, or cause issues downstream. Work with our teams to increase resiliency using newer design patterns.
You should apply for this role if you:
- Believe all developers should own their systems and be accountable to their reliability
- Can quickly learn new distributed systems and are not afraid to hack at them with little direction
- Can debug complex problems across distributed systems
- Help other teammates grow through mentorship and coaching
- Enjoy solving complex problems with a focus on delivering the smallest executable set
- Have a solid understanding of both computer science fundamentals and what it takes to build internet-scale applications. You likely have a degree in Computer Science or similar field, or equivalent real-world experience.
- Knowledge of design patterns and software engineering best practices
- Have experience working at scale utilizing microservices architectures
- Experience with Java
- High volume Message Queues such as Kafka
- Familiarity with AWS and/or other cloud computing platforms
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker
At Under Armour, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Under Armour believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.