Creative Director - North America Marketing
Under Armour is all about performance. Because what we make empowers athletes in every form to push themselves, to turn good into great, and to stay hungry for whatever comes next. And this is exactly what we expect from each other.
Working with us means one key thing: no matter what you do, you see every day and every project as a chance to push your field forward. In every store and every office, we build teams where everyone is an MVP. And together we tackle every challenge head on. Because we work to push the gear, the game, and ourselves farther.
We’re looking for people who do more than good work.
We’re looking for the Best in Every Game.
Under Armour is the chosen brand of this generation of athletes... and the athletes of tomorrow. We're about performance - in training and on game day, in blistering heat and bitter cold. Whatever the conditions, whatever the sport, Under Armour delivers the advantage athletes have come to demand.
That demand has created an environment of growth. An environment where building a great team is vital. An environment where doing whatever it takes is the baseline and going above and beyond to protect the Brand is commonplace.
The world's hungriest athletes live by a code, a pledge to themselves and everyone else: Protect This House... I Will. Our goal is to Build A Great Team! Will YOU…Protect This House?!
The Creative Director – North America Marketing will report to the Vice President of North America Marketing and lead Creative direction for the region. He/she will oversee all Under Armour storytelling within the North America region and ensure all regional owned creative and projects are facilitated from creative development through final execution. The oversight includes regionally led brand platforms, campaigns, and global brand adaptations in the region. As well as overseeing all retail and digital creative in the region.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Partner with Brand Creative teams - Category, Story and Content, as well as Brand Marketing and Retail leadership to continually drive and refine how we communicate our Brand positioning, personality, and value proposition to athletes in North America.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to provide brand creative direction to retail, digital, content, experiential and sports marketing.
- Develop creative platforms and design concepts that meet the business objectives of the organization, advance our brand strategy and differentiate our Brand.
- Work closely with UA Brand Marketing, UA Retail Marketing, and UA Consumer Engagement team on driving brand/category experiences and brand/category communications in the region. Including brand storytelling, athlete storytelling and product marketing.
- Activate on our global style guides to be consistent with our global brand standards in all content, digital and retail creative.
- Develop strong creative strategy, provide creative direction and quality control over all regional concepts, projects and content creation. Scope includes: stills, motion, experiences for Brand, Category, Product and Athletes/Influencers.
- Select regional agency partners, manage, coach and lead all agency partners to drive high quality work that is consistent with our Brand including content, digital, email, and regional “campaigns”
- Direct and Partner with Wholesale partner’s creative teams to lead consistent Brand creative in partnership with a retailer’s brand.
- Direct and Partner with Publishing and Content partners to oversee creative concepting and content capture to ensure it meets UA’s high Brand standards.
- Present to Sr leadership, Accounts, and other internal stakeholders on concepts, designs and ideas to gain support.
- Work with the cross-functional leads to estimate, create, manage, track, and drive deadlines for new and existing projects.
- Use behavioral data and insights to inform and evolve our creative identity. Including influencing the customer journey and experience, ultimately leading to increased engagement and conversion.
- Drive innovation and leverage technology to create memorable brand experiences.
- Supervise an internal team: Copywriter and Creative Project Manager
- Supervise External agency roster.
- 10 years Creative Design experience.
- Bachelors Degree
- Past experience with athletic brands, athletes, sports marketing (minimum of 4 years)
- Creative experience with multiple media types – including new media, for example, Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality
- Demonstrated experience managing a team of Creative professionals
- Past experience with User Experience design
- Experience succeeding in a fast-paced growth environment involving time-sensitive, complex projects.
- Must provide a portfolio of relevant work samples. (via URL or PDF)
- Ability to lead and drive Creative strategy, concepting and direction
- Excellent writing and communications skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Excellent leadership and collaboration skills
- Inspiring and leading creative people.
- Ability to sketch out designs by hand or computer.
- Ability to motivate and lead others in the development and execution of creative projects.
- Ability to direct and manage external creative teams and agencies.
- Be of exemplary moral and ethical character.
- Microsoft Office and Mac platform proficiency.
- Extensive experience with Adobe Creative Suite
What do you need?
- GET IT DONE, DONE, DONE – ACCOUNTABILITY Takes responsibility for achieving team requirements, tasks, and objectives, even if other resources are required. Goes the extra mile to get the work done and meet commitments made to others.
- FIND A BETTER WAY – CREATIVITY & INNOVATION Seeks to improve upon the status quo by proactively creating new, unique solutions to make UA better. Asks challenging, open-ended questions to inspire innovative thinking in other Teammates
- WIN TOGETHER – COLLABORATION Demonstrates reliability, working openly with cross-functional Teammates. Takes the lead, whether in an individual contributor or manager role. Builds working relationships with others, seeking out and encouraging the exchange of constructive feedback.
- THINK GLOBALLY – GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE Seeks and applies understanding of cultural differences when conducting business and interacting with others globally. Adapts behavior to the local culture to demonstrate respect and gain trust.
- MAP THE FUTURE – STRATEGIC VISIONING Applies understanding of internal and external challenges to contribute to the team's vision for the future. Asks questions to confirm how team priorities support UA's overall vision.
- BUILD A GREAT TEAM – BUILDING TALENT Seeks opportunities to develop self and other Teammates. Gives timely, specific feedback on performance, tasks, goals, and developmental needs. Motivates Teammates by sharing team objectives that highlight opportunities and the impact of their work. Identifies and selects talent to meet business needs
- MAKE THE RIGHT CALL – INTEGRITY & ETHICS Acts in alignment with UA values and principles, encouraging other Teammates to do the same.
Estimate 20% of this job is travel. Could occasionally include Weekends
At Under Armour, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Under Armour believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.