Director of Product, Accessories
Under Armour is all about performance. Because what we make empowers athletes in every form to push themselves, to turn good into great, and to stay hungry for whatever comes next. And this is exactly what we expect from each other.
Working with us means one key thing: no matter what you do, you see every day and every project as a chance to push your field forward. In every store and every office, we build teams where everyone is an MVP. And together we tackle every challenge head on. Because we work to push the gear, the game, and ourselves farther.
We’re looking for people who do more than good work.
We’re looking for the Best in Every Game.
Under Armour is the chosen brand of this generation of athletes... and the athletes of tomorrow. We're about performance - in training and on game day, in blistering heat and bitter cold. Whatever the conditions, whatever the sport, Under Armour delivers the advantage athletes have come to demand.
That demand has created an environment of growth. An environment where building a great team is vital. An environment where doing whatever it takes is the baseline and going above and beyond to protect the Brand is commonplace.
The world's hungriest athletes live by a code, a pledge to themselves and everyone else: Protect This House... I Will. Our goal is to Build A Great Team! Will YOU…Protect This House?!
COMPANY HISTORY AND VISION
It started with a simple plan to make a superior T-shirt. A shirt that provided compression and wicked perspiration off your skin rather than absorb it. A shirt that worked with your body to regulate temperature and enhance performance. Founded in 1996 by former University of Maryland football player Kevin Plank, Under Armour is the originator of performance apparel - gear engineered to keep athletes cool, dry, and light throughout the course of a game, practice, or workout.
Under Armour is the chosen brand of this generation of athletes... and the athletes of tomorrow. We’re about performance - in training and on game day, in blistering heat and bitter cold. Whatever the conditions, whatever the sport, Under Armour delivers the advantage athletes have come to demand. That demand has created an environment of growth. Today, with millions of unique registered users across UA’s Connected Fitness community, the brand is resonating with more athletes than ever before, and we’re investing to change the way athletes live.
UA is an environment where building a great team is vital, and where doing whatever it takes is the baseline and going above and beyond to protect the Brand is commonplace. Our teammates and the world’s hungriest athletes alike, live by a code, a pledge to themselves and everyone else: Protect This House... I Will.
The Director of Accessories Product will have the unique opportunity to join an innovative, fun, and growing global product segment. He/she will manage Product Line Managers and will be the key player representing his/her categories within the Design/Development/Product POD. Reporting to the Vice President of Accessories & Licensing, he/she is responsible for developing the business strategy and driving the product development efforts for bags, hats, and other accessories. This role defines the product requirements for the categories and manages the product creation process by translating market analysis, brand insights, user testing, sales and customer feedback into feature/function requirements. This role defines new avenues of business as well as oversees extensions and will work with cross-functional partners to direct channel distribution strategies and develop plans to successfully fulfill and service the business in targeted channels.
Core responsibilities will include working with Product, Merchandising, Planning, and Marketing to create great product with features that the consumer understands and values. Key performance indicators for this role include demand, gross margin, market share and inventory efficiency of the category.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- GTM/Product Lifecycle- Experience with product lifecycle & GTM Process and ability to understand the holistic process to bring a product to market from concept to commercialization. Working with Merchandising, Sourcing, Development, Marketing, Sales, VM, Packaging, Planning, Strategy, Market Research, etc. Works closely with the design and development teams providing strong judgment and direction when making feature/functionality/schedule trade-offs.
- Communication- Formulate and articulate high-level strategies and the “why” behind them. Storytelling, engaging communication, comfortable presenting in front of varying audiences. Briefs product ethos to marketing to create marketing materials and communications including detailed competitive positioning and analysis.
- Trend & Innovation- Ability to identify trends to create commercial product while also being forward thinking and innovative in order to be market leader. Willing to take risks to move the business forward while understanding the importance of a solid foundation and working to cultivate this alongside the innovations.
- Problem Solving- Identify challenges & problems in process and work to build consensus and a plan to improve process or implement new solutions.
- Analytics- Ability to analyze and evaluate business through various data sets including sell-in, sell-through, margins, revenue, demand, consensus plans, market data.
- Strategy- Set product vision. Compile and analyze data from various cross functional partners and formulate business strategy rooted in data, consumer insights, trend and innovation. Ability to articulate, influence and execute on strategy
- Project Management- ability to identify the key players and processes needed to get the project done. Follows go-to-market calendar, delivering on all key milestones. Ability to build, teach and roll out new processes where needed
- People Management- Strong emotional intelligence to effectively lead & teach teammates in an environment of mutual trust, respect and fun. Ability to oversee and educate teammates while understanding how to effectively delegate and motivate teams to work independently.
- Interpersonal Skills- Ability to work cross functionally across multiple departments including influencing, negotiating and partnering with a wide range of job functions.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities may include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; evaluating performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
- Ability to communicate effectively and present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, percentages. Strong understanding and application of Retail Math.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree and at least 6-8 years of related experience; or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Travel – around 5%
At Under Armour, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Under Armour believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.