Senior Counsel - Commercial (Technology)
Under Armour is all about performance. Because what we make empowers athletes in every form to push themselves, to turn good into great, and to stay hungry for whatever comes next. And this is exactly what we expect from each other.
Working with us means one key thing: no matter what you do, you see every day and every project as a chance to push your field forward. In every store and every office, we build teams where everyone is an MVP. And together we tackle every challenge head on. Because we work to push the gear, the game, and ourselves farther.
We’re looking for people who do more than good work.
We’re looking for the Best in Every Game.
Under Armour is the chosen brand of this generation of athletes... and the athletes of tomorrow. We're about performance - in training and on game day, in blistering heat and bitter cold. Whatever the conditions, whatever the sport, Under Armour delivers the advantage athletes have come to demand.
That demand has created an environment of growth. An environment where building a great team is vital. An environment where doing whatever it takes is the baseline and going above and beyond to protect the Brand is commonplace.
The world's hungriest athletes live by a code, a pledge to themselves and everyone else: Protect This House... I Will. Our goal is to Build A Great Team! Will YOU…Protect This House?!
Provide commercial legal advice and counsel to various internal UA teams including IT, E-Commerce/Digital, Sourcing/Manufacturing, Logistics/Supply Chain and Procurement. Primarily responsible for structuring, drafting, reviewing, analyzing, negotiating and interpreting a wide range of business contracts, but also serving as a shoulder-to-shoulder business partner with teammates in connection with engagement of external parties and execution on projects and initiatives.
- Structure, draft, review, analyze, negotiate and interpret business contracts including IT, e-commerce, manufacturing, logistics, supply chain, general procurement and other vendor contracts, including master services agreements, software license agreements, SaaS agreements, statements of work, service level agreements, amendments, RFP responses and supporting documentation.
- Serve as a trusted business partner in defining business strategy, identifying business risks and implementing company policies and procedures.
- Develop and maintain contract templates, support in development of business and legal processes and implement internal policies to help scale the business and ensure alignment to current business needs, policy demands and legal trends.
- Educate business teammates on contract provisions and form agreements, terms and conditions, remedies, indemnifications, etc.
- Assist in negotiations to resolve contract disputes with third parties.
- Collaborate with other members of the Legal Team and Procurement in connection with contract terms and relationships as necessary.
- Manage outside counsels engaged to assist with discrete legal matters.
- Strong experience in negotiating and interpreting complex contracts.
- Superior analytic, writing, editing and oral/written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and work efficiently in a high-volume, results-oriented environment.
- Highly organized with strong problem solving skills and a drive for efficiency.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize and manage expectations.
- Good people skills and the ability to interface with business teammates and patiently assist internal clients in their preparation for and negotiation of contract documents
- Strong business acumen, creative problem solver with a track record of providing guidance and risk-appropriate, solutions-oriented advice to legal issues.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of other disciplines, sometimes across regions, cultures and time zones.
- Thrives being part of a team, both leading and serving; demonstrated deep commitment to colleagues; highly effective in a matrix environment.
- Confidence without arrogance; driven to continually “up their game” regardless of prior successes.
- In good times and bad, lives the UA Way – embraces new challenges, takes ownership for mistakes; delivers tough messages directly; doesn’t “back-channel”.
- “Can do” and “does do” attitude; authentically engaged with people and situations.
- Commits to stretch goals and delivers; holds self and team to highest performance standards.
- Passionately embraces the challenge and effort to keep UA unique; committed to go the extra mile to build/protect the brand.
What do you need?
- GET IT DONE – ACCOUNTABILITY Takes responsibility and ownership for own tasks, decisions and outcomes. Deliver consistent results and hits deadlines within the scope of the role.
- FIND A BETTER WAY – CREATIVITY & INNOVATION Demonstrates curiosity by asking questions about current practices and suggesting potential changes. Generates new ideas in team settings.
- WIN TOGETHER – COLLABORATION Acknowledges own role and how it contributes to the common goals of the team. Builds trusting relationships with teammates and works with others in alignment with team goals.
- THINK GLOBALLY – GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE Demonstrates understanding of local cultural practices. Displays interest in and appreciation for global perspectives. May apply cultural understanding to support other teammates in global business interactions.
- MAKE THE RIGHT CALL – INTEGRITY AND ETHICS Acts in alignment with UA values and principles, encouraging other Teammates to do the same.
- Candidate must have 10+ years of firm and/or in-house experience. In-house commercial/contract experience with a multinational company is a plus, as is significant experience working on technology contracts and strong knowledge of commercial data privacy/security issues.
- Law degree from a reputable university, admitted in good standing with license to practice, preferably, in the State of Maryland.
At Under Armour, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Under Armour believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.