Sr. Designer, Apparel -Concepts
Under Armour is all about performance. Because what we make empowers athletes in every form to push themselves, to turn good into great, and to stay hungry for whatever comes next. And this is exactly what we expect from each other.
Working with us means one key thing: no matter what you do, you see every day and every project as a chance to push your field forward. In every store and every office, we build teams where everyone is an MVP. And together we tackle every challenge head on. Because we work to push the gear, the game, and ourselves farther.
We’re looking for people who do more than good work.
We’re looking for the Best in Every Game.
Under Armour is the chosen brand of this generation of athletes... and the athletes of tomorrow. We're about performance - in training and on game day, in blistering heat and bitter cold. Whatever the conditions, whatever the sport, Under Armour delivers the advantage athletes have come to demand.
That demand has created an environment of growth. An environment where building a great team is vital. An environment where doing whatever it takes is the baseline and going above and beyond to protect the Brand is commonplace.
The world's hungriest athletes live by a code, a pledge to themselves and everyone else: Protect This House... I Will. Our goal is to Build A Great Team! Will YOU…Protect This House?!
Under Armour has a unique, powerful, and authentic connection with athletes and people who share the athletic spirit. We built our Brand and story based on innovation of the "compression shirt" but, equally importantly, by creating a movement. A powerful shift in what a shirt could mean to an athlete, resulting in a dramatic change in the way athletes dress. Today, the 16-year-old wide receiver feels lighter, faster, stronger, and better in our cleats and baselayer. The 32-year-old marathoner feels athletic, focused, and confident in our HeatGear shorts and SpeedForm running shoes. The woman wearing UA Studio pants and an Armour Bra attacks spin class with a strength, beauty, and empowerment that she's never felt before. The 10-year-old soccer player feels like she can do ANYTHING in our ColdGear mock. The highest-quality products, powerful storytelling, and authentication by athletes with WILL and purpose helped create the undeniable movement that is Under Armour.
Under Armour is looking for a Senior Designer, Concepts that will be responsible for bringing vision and strategic growth across all sport-centric categories to life through innovative, insight lead, trend-right and Brand-right designs that are cutting-edge and fresh. The Senior Designer, Concepts, will energize the design and product management teams and push them to elevate the athlete insight, problem solving, and design aesthetic while subscribing to the athletic mantra. As a concept leader you will collaborate with passion, integrity and motivation. We are an authentic brand that pushes the envelope every day; innovation is a key part of our success. We are looking for a teammate who brings a strong point of view built on your own inspirations and ideas. This Senior Designer, Concepts must have the ability to forge strong partnerships with his/her creative peersto create – from concept to reality - compelling and fresh concepts, storytelling and product coveted by athletes everywhere.
RESPONSIBILITIES: SENIOR DESIGNER, CONCEPTS
- Define design vision across all Sports Performance categories through collaboration with leadership in Design, Merchandising, Footwear, Accessories, Brand and other internal teams to ensure that Design is building a cohesive product strategy across multiple areas of the business.
- Drive the Head-to-Toe Concept key looks, sample development, fabric and trim suite package, and storytelling around products for all end-uses.
- Drive the Athlete Insights initiative within Concept Design, working in partnership with Innovation and Consumer Insights to capture athlete interviews and imagery that provide insights that benefit Footwear, Apparel and Accessories Design and keep Under Armour on trend and in the know.
- Lead streamlining and publishing of design relevant athlete insight information to the teams. Leverage partnerships with Innovation, Design and Brand Marketing to capture and bring these materials to life.
- Work in partnership with Sr. Director of Creative Concepts to research trend, silhouette, fabric and trim innovation to further enhance the product and product development process.
- Build, inspire and mentor a strong and unique team focused on creating innovative, brand-right, trend-right and fresh apparel across end-uses.
- Manage team into calendar as they work closely with Development on the realization of product - refine and sharpen this model.
- Analyze existing calendar and work to bring big stories, fabric and trim innovation from Concept to Materials and Design ahead of calendar.
- Analyze existing business strategy, communications, user research, visual design, and branding to inform the creative development of the project's conceptual and aesthetic approach
- Analyze competitive landscape and user segmentation to develop a strong product roadmap
- Come to the table with a strong point of view on creative issues while still having an open ear to opinions and suggestions
- Travel domestically and internationally approx. 3-4 times a yr. to drive athlete insights, and prototype delivery in addition to collection of inspiration, trend and market research
- Travel to Baltimore as needed for key presentations, meeting and touch-base with cross functional teams (approx. 1x weekly)
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE: SENIOR DESIGNER, CONCEPTS
- BA or BS in design or business related field
- 8+ years of apparel or footwear design, innovation, digital and/or design strategy experience required, with a strong experience working with creative, product and design teams.
- Proven ability to drive consumer-centric planning and development process
- Ability to collect multiple input sources and synthesize learning into actionable insights that directly lead to new concept creation, consumer experiences, and long-term innovation
- Ability to oversee, mentor, and inspire designers—Focus on creating strong brand right pieces for specific delivery dates. Must be 100% up to date and proficient professional design programs, i.e., Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop on Mac platforms.
- Must understand the web as a medium and its relevant technical constraints
· Must have a keen understanding of the balance between business, marketing, and technical requirements
- Handle all the day to day requests both internal and external to ensure all areas of their specific categories are being looked after and handled properly.
- Possess a strong creative point of view, be able to verbally express concepts and design choices to a larger audience. Ability to present convincingly using proper research and inspiring visuals. At the same time, this individual must be open to opinions and suggestions from cross functional and design partners.
- The ability to recognize when is the right time to push the limits of a project but also knowing when to pull back and keep it simple
- A continued understanding of the market as it relates to performance sports and fashion
- Strengthen design members through building a great team environment and pushing the boundaries of creative design to help make Under Armour the #1 sports apparel brand globally.
At Under Armour, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Under Armour believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.