Sr. Manager, Risk Management - Global Insurance
Under Armour is all about performance. Because what we make empowers athletes in every form to push themselves, to turn good into great, and to stay hungry for whatever comes next. And this is exactly what we expect from each other.
Working with us means one key thing: no matter what you do, you see every day and every project as a chance to push your field forward. In every store and every office, we build teams where everyone is an MVP. And together we tackle every challenge head on. Because we work to push the gear, the game, and ourselves farther.
We’re looking for people who do more than good work.
We’re looking for the Best in Every Game.
Under Armour is the chosen brand of this generation of athletes... and the athletes of tomorrow. We're about performance - in training and on game day, in blistering heat and bitter cold. Whatever the conditions, whatever the sport, Under Armour delivers the advantage athletes have come to demand.
That demand has created an environment of growth. An environment where building a great team is vital. An environment where doing whatever it takes is the baseline and going above and beyond to protect the Brand is commonplace.
The world's hungriest athletes live by a code, a pledge to themselves and everyone else: Protect This House... I Will. Our goal is to Build A Great Team! Will YOU…Protect This House?!
This position is responsible for the development and implementation of UA’s risk management strategy and leads the Global Insurance team, including the global claims and loss control function. It is responsible for the process of identifying, measuring, and mitigating risk in the organization, developing impactful strategies, and overseeing the implementation of risk solutions in the business to optimize operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Set the strategic risk management vision, deliver strategy to UA, provide executive level reporting on planned versus actual
- Oversee and manage the global risk financing and risk transfer program for all lines of risk including P&C, financial lines, aviation, environmental, marine/transit, professional liability, and cyber.
- Develop, recommend, and administer global risk financing program aimed to reduce overall cost of risk and volatility. Develop and implement TCOR reporting mechanism for quarterly tracking of cost of risk and key drivers of risk.
- Oversee management of captive, RMIS system provider, brokers, TPAs, and other vendors, insurance carriers. Establish processes to evaluate compliance with KPIs and work with service providers to identify and implement best practices.
- Plan, recommend, and implement global risk financing strategy, budget, risk management monthly accounting process, and report on budgeted versus actual. Work closely with accounting and finance to ensure the proper recording of reserves, business transactions, and activity.
- Perform insurance and risk management due diligence reviews for mergers/acquisitions/new business ventures
- Design, implement, and oversee management of alternative insurance programs, including surety, OCIPs, directing the purchase of insurance programs, management of claims and loss control activities, management of third party service providers, preparing budgets and partnering with actuaries for loss analyses and internal reporting.
- Build and lead global insurance team, develop and assign roles and responsibilities, build risk management framework, provide execution guidance to team.
- Oversee management of global claims function (including setting internal KPIs and claim reviews), analyze significant claims and settlement values; strategic planning with outside counsel for defense; monitor all subrogations and recoveries. Provide in-depth coverage analysis when necessary.
- Oversee management of RMIS system, contract negotiation, serve as a technical liaison and resource for internal constituents.
- Develop and implement reporting on claim cause calculation; leverage actionable data to affect the frequency and reduce cost of claims to UA
- Partner with external actuaries to develop and utilize quantitative risk analytics and models for exposure growth management to provide business units’ insight on risk impact of certain business decision. Ensure accurate loss forecasting and manage impact on long term risk financing decisions.
- Conduct internal risk assessments with various business units to inform risk transfer and risk financing strategy; develop risk assessment guide and policy, conduct risk assessment meetings in line with COSO standards, report on findings and align with Internal Audit as necessary.
- Interface with underwriters to negotiate fair but favorable insurance terms and conditions on all lines of risk, negotiate program enhancements, provide strategic risk viewpoint, prepare internal communication summarizing program placement strategies and achievements.
- Coordinates and maintains strong relationships with key external partners including insurance brokers, carriers, TPAs etc.
- Oversee global insurance policy audits and report on TCOR impact
- Partners with internal safety and security team and other business units as necessary to implement loss control initiatives and quantify impact of these initiatives in executive-level reporting.
- Responsible for designing and developing contractual risk transfer standards for company-wide implementation by UA Legal.
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) required—Excellent Excel skills required,
- Strong process-improvement skills
- Recognized risk leader, dynamic, proactive, decisive; strong book of industry contacts
- Adapts well to and initiates change in the organization. Seeks ways to optimize risks in the organization as a competitive business advantage.
- Demonstrated relationship-building skills with a superior ability to make things happen through the use of positive influence.
- Strong analytical, management, research, and communication skills
- "Advanced company and industry knowledge
- Strategic organizational view, responsible for Team 3YP
- Talent Management (hiring and team development)
- Strong and proactive budget management and business acumen
- Strong working knowledge of risk treatment structure development including alternative risk transfer
- Creative Thinker, Change Manager
- Motivator of team
- Executor of strategic initiatives
- Excellent presentation skills (C-suite and/or Board)
- Excellent Negotiation Techniques"
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree, MBA preferred, and at least 8 years of progressive experience in a role in Insurance/Risk Management and finance, accounting, or business management
- At least 5 years of experience directly planning, developing, and managing global risk financing budget and accounting operations
- ARM/CPCU/CRM or similar designations
- Experience in identifying operational issues, recommending and implementing strategies to resolve problems and provide financial stability. A high degree of analytic ability and inductive thinking required to devise new, non-standard approaches to intricate, technically complex problems.
- Experience developing strategic initiatives which align with business goals, budget, and developing and delivering presentations to various audience levels within an organization.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills; capable of explaining risk management processes, procedures, and UA growth story in an accessible manner at the board/executive level.
At Under Armour, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Under Armour believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.