Sr. Merchant, Category - Basketball
Under Armour is all about performance. Because what we make empowers athletes in every form to push themselves, to turn good into great, and to stay hungry for whatever comes next. And this is exactly what we expect from each other.
Working with us means one key thing: no matter what you do, you see every day and every project as a chance to push your field forward. In every store and every office, we build teams where everyone is an MVP. And together we tackle every challenge head on. Because we work to push the gear, the game, and ourselves farther.
We’re looking for people who do more than good work.
We’re looking for the Best in Every Game.
Under Armour is the chosen brand of this generation of athletes... and the athletes of tomorrow. We're about performance - in training and on game day, in blistering heat and bitter cold. Whatever the conditions, whatever the sport, Under Armour delivers the advantage athletes have come to demand.
That demand has created an environment of growth. An environment where building a great team is vital. An environment where doing whatever it takes is the baseline and going above and beyond to protect the Brand is commonplace.
The world's hungriest athletes live by a code, a pledge to themselves and everyone else: Protect This House... I Will. Our goal is to Build A Great Team! Will YOU…Protect This House?!
The Sr. Merchant, Category – Basketball will collaborate with the Category GM – Basketball to develop and lead the implementation of the Merchandising vision, strategy & tactics for Basketball resulting in sustainable, profitable growth and Brand health. Additionally, he/she will fully own inline apparel and footwear for men’s, women & youth (inclusive of Joel Embiid signature product) to deliver results in support of the aligned Category Merchandising vision. Core responsibilities will include long range and seasonal management of the: line architecture and product lifecyle; Global marketplace channel segmentation & assortment strategies; and go-to-market operational effectiveness of the focus business segments. This role will work functionally and cross-functionally throughout UA to build a collaborative and supportive operating environment and be a consensus-builder who drives results.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create and optimize product assortments within the global range that will maximize potential for revenue and profit across regions and accounts
- Actively contribute to overall Basketball product strategy & own strategy for inline apparel and footwear for men’s, women & youth (inclusive of Joel Embiid signature product) - line architecture, lifecycle planning, channel segmentation, and franchise management
- Lead, develop, and implement global seasonal merchandising strategy for inline apparel and footwear for men’s, women & youth (inclusive of Joel Embiid signature product) - marketplace roadmap contributions, color architecture, flow, hero product strategies, launch plan, channel assortments including nucleus & modular assortments, visual merchandising plans, global hero looks
- Actively engage in Basketball merchant data, consumer, marketplace, competitor and trend insights & analytics - leverage all available information (including market travel) to inform long-term & seasonal product strategies to achieve financial targets including all of the afore-mentioned and: product mix & depth, pricing strategies and seasonal allocations
- Manage & deliver Basketball merchandising GTM excellence - collaborate & effectively communicate with category, cross-category, cross-functional and regional teammates; instill regional teammates with confidence & enthusiasm for seasonal merchandising strategies; timely achievement of all GTM milestones including quality tools/deliverables
- Ensure Basketball merchandising operational efficiency
- Analyze historical sales performances and use as influence in making merchandising strategies for future assortments
- Partner with the product team in assorting the category, focusing on strategic targets, local market characteristics, budgets and SKU counts
- Strong awareness of the impact and implications of decisions
- Operate in Merchandising and Product Line Management systems (Armoury, Trasix, etc.)
- Ability to influence cross-functional partners through strong and proven relationships
- Ability to successfully lead a cross-functional pod
- Ability to communicate product strategies verbally and in writing.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills
- Ability to provide mentorship to junior-level teammates and cross-functional partners
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- 5-7 years of merchandising or product experience with increased responsibility; at least 2-3 years specific to merchandising experience
- Global industry experience in consumer products
- Proven experience in leading and managing a direct report
- Proven experience with a variety of go-to-market models (direct-to-consumer, wholesale, retail, etc.) in a highly-matrixed organization
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally (5-10%)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
At Under Armour, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Under Armour believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.