General Manager - Woodbury, NY
Under Armour is all about performance. Because what we make empowers athletes in every form to push themselves, to turn good into great, and to stay hungry for whatever comes next. And this is exactly what we expect from each other.
Working with us means one key thing: no matter what you do, you see every day and every project as a chance to push your field forward. In every store and every office, we build teams where everyone is an MVP. And together we tackle every challenge head on. Because we work to push the gear, the game, and ourselves farther.
We’re looking for people who do more than good work.
We’re looking for the Best in Every Game.
Under Armour is the chosen brand of this generation of athletes... and the athletes of tomorrow. We're about performance - in training and on game day, in blistering heat and bitter cold. Whatever the conditions, whatever the sport, Under Armour delivers the advantage athletes have come to demand.
That demand has created an environment of growth. An environment where building a great team is vital. An environment where doing whatever it takes is the baseline and going above and beyond to protect the Brand is commonplace.
The world's hungriest athletes live by a code, a pledge to themselves and everyone else: Protect This House... I Will. Our goal is to Build A Great Team! Will YOU…Protect This House?!
The General Manager acts as if he or she is the business owner and has ultimate responsibility for the daily operations of a high volume, high profile Under Armour store. The General Manager is accountable for effectively teaching, training and coaching store management into a high performing leadership team that achieves sales goals, meets merchandising brand standards and delivers operational excellence. The General Manager is expected to role model Under Armour’s Core Competencies and I WILL behaviors in all actions and interactions in order to create a positive Teammate and Athlete experience.
- Motivate and inspire the team by delivering a compelling vision and purpose which encompasses Under Armour’s Core Competencies and I WILL behaviors.
- Consistently models the brand’s Athlete service standards and selling behaviors.
- Establish and communicate clear expectations while holding the store management team accountable for achieving all brand, performance and behavior standards.
- Build and support effective relationships with all teammates, peers, supervisors and corporate business partners to effectively lead positive change.
- Lead and execute, in partnership with the Store Manager*, on all performance management tools.
- Effectively communicates with the Store Manager* to align and help drive business strategy.
- Proactively seek personal learning and development opportunities to build leadership skill set and enhance individual performance.
- Ensure total Store Accountability for all Under Armour Policies and Procedures.
- Lead management team huddles; maintain a presence on Leadership Conference Calls and in Store Visits. Lead and empower management team to hold Team Shift Huddles.
- Establish and execute a strategic plan to achieve planned sales and key performance indicators for all time periods.
- Maintains a strong business acumen on all key performance indicators.
- Provides high level insight and clarity into the day-to-day functions of the business.
- Analyze reporting and daily sales trends to make real-time strategic business decisions to drive results.
- Train and develop team on business acumen to drive business performance.
- Evaluate store sales and payroll goals using payroll reports and tools; make scheduling adjustments to meet business needs.
- Builds Athlete loyalty through in-store experience, through the use of Athlete data capture, endless aisle and the understanding of Connected Fitness applications.
- Supervise the efficient and productive handling of all merchandise including shipment receipt and processing, floorsets, markdown optimization and replenishment systems while maintaining backroom standards.
- Oversees and ensures efficiency of all daily operational procedures.
- Ensure store audit compliance and shrink results meet company loss prevention standards.
- Partners with District Manager on operations best practices.
- Manage payroll and schedule adjustments effectively to maximize productivity and to achieve payroll and sales targets.
- Partner with the Talent DOR to effectively recruit, hire, develop and retain a high performing store management team.
- Teach, train and coach the store management team through successful completion of Division of Responsibilities (DOR) to develop future leaders for the company.
- Develops succession plans to ensure career paths for all teammates; encourage teammates to pursue internal opportunities.
- Recognize and properly resolve teammate performance issues in partnership with the Store Manager*; communicate high priority issues to the District Manager in a timely manner and collaborate to develop a plan for resolution to minimize risk.
- In partnership with the Store Manager*, assess and provide ongoing performance feedback on QB skills, job expectations and Core Competencies through real-time coaching, scheduled touchbases, individual development planning and the performance review process.
- Leads the mid-year and annual review process for Store Manager*. Supports the Store Manager* in the annual review process for all additional teammates.
- Engages in compensation decisions in partnership with the District Manager.
- Manages store census, seasonal hiring needs and anticipates turnover. Proactively networks, recruits and interviews based on assessments to ensure staffed at all times.
- Drive teammate engagement by recognizing and rewarding teammates for their outstanding performance.
- Ensure that the store management team adheres to and enforces all employment practices and policies.
- Partner with the Merchandising DOR to ensure all visual directives ensuring mapping and floorset are properly planned, scheduled and executed seamlessly within allotted timeframe.
- Generate and analyze merchandise reports and direct brand appropriate merchandising moves to maximize presentation and drive sales.
- Lead efficient and effective day to day store merchandising by ensuring that the store team understands and maintains Under Armour brand standards and sell through adjustments are held true to the Floor Set overview.
- Partner with Merchandising DOR to ensure all aspects of replenishment are properly executed - Fill the Floor, power closes, power opens and merchandise adjustments.
- Perform “level-sets” and make sure the store is replenished by pushing all goods to the floor.
- Maintain Under Armour brand standards of neat, clean and organized sales floor, cash wrap and fitting room ensuring store environment is safe for teammates and athletes.
- Partners with District Manager on merchandising best practices.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum high school education or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years of retail Management experience preferred.
- High volume/flagship store management experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business, including holidays, nights and weekends.
- Computer and technology proficient.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with athletes and store team.
- Ability to move or handle merchandise up to 25 lbs.
- Ability to freely access all areas of the store; including the selling floor, stock and register area.
- Strong prioritizing, interpersonal, problem‐solving & planning skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of employment laws including compliance with federal, state and local requirements.
- Strong communication, presentation, delegation and follow-up skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in sales generation, training, and leading of functional teams.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze business trends and reporting to drive sales.
- Demonstrated ability to coach, provide feedback and manage substandard performance.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast‐paced and deadline‐oriented environment.
- Ability to perform Essential Job Functions.
*If location does not have a Store Manager then this responsibility would focused on the entire management team.
At Under Armour, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Under Armour believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.