Sports Researcher - Biomechanics
Under Armour is all about performance. Because what we make empowers athletes in every form to push themselves, to turn good into great, and to stay hungry for whatever comes next. And this is exactly what we expect from each other.
Working with us means one key thing: no matter what you do, you see every day and every project as a chance to push your field forward. In every store and every office, we build teams where everyone is an MVP. And together we tackle every challenge head on. Because we work to push the gear, the game, and ourselves farther.
We’re looking for people who do more than good work.
We’re looking for the Best in Every Game.
Under Armour is the chosen brand of this generation of athletes... and the athletes of tomorrow. We're about performance - in training and on game day, in blistering heat and bitter cold. Whatever the conditions, whatever the sport, Under Armour delivers the advantage athletes have come to demand.
That demand has created an environment of growth. An environment where building a great team is vital. An environment where doing whatever it takes is the baseline and going above and beyond to protect the Brand is commonplace.
The world's hungriest athletes live by a code, a pledge to themselves and everyone else: Protect This House... I Will. Our goal is to Build A Great Team! Will YOU…Protect This House?!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
- Develop and support footwear innovation and inline projects in creating products rooted in performance testing across footwear categories (run, train, cleated, basketball)
- Participate in the development of new lab tools, methods and procedures that will streamline data acquisition and cross-functional initiatives
- Optimize research and lead the data collection process
- Facilitate and collaborate on product validation and testing
- Collaborate with external consultants, and internal teams including Development and Design
- Lead the transfer and direct application of UA Lab results in the creation of innovative, performance-driven products
- Support and assist in the development of a robust program to explore athlete insights and authenticate athlete performance benefits
- Participate in the broader UA Innovation community as an expert in my field of footwear and sport biomechanics
- Demonstrate Under Armour’s commitment to footwear performance research through attendance at scientific meetings and conferences
Competencies (to perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies)
Consistently completes tasks at the functional team level – assists the team in meeting functional area timelines; sets stretch personal goals and achieves them; inspires confidence that they will deliver (Done! Done! Done!); goes the extra mile to ensure the functional team’s success; takes direction to help complete a project
Lives and inspires the Under Armour Culture throughout the Company – embraces the Company values in their everyday interactions; inspires the values in their peers; commits time and energy to the success of the Company; a good team player
Assists in executing on a strategic plan that creates a unique advantage for UA in the marketplace – familiar with the more complex concepts and possesses advanced skills of the relevant functional area and strives to gain subject matter and technical expertise; improves performance by gaining knowledge and experience of associated areas through job contacts and training; suggests ideas that focus on improving costs and process efficiency
Has Manager/Director’s as well as their team’s trust – delivers what is promised; contributes to the functions goals through individual and/or team effort; impacts functional team by providing support; understands how his/her role fits into the functional team’s goals
Shows intellectual curiosity in every task they are asked to perform – seeks to not only perform the task but understand the purpose of the task; demonstrated effort to understand processes outside their immediate area; performs task well with an attention to detail; understands and appreciates the value their task adds to goal achievement
- A passion for performance and for shoes!
- Strong technical skills with biomechanical equipment and data along with a proficiency in collecting biomechanical data on human subjects
- Expert ability to take complex test data and distill it into useful information that footwear product teams can use to build best-in-class products
- Desire and ability to take risks, and to take responsibility for results – must be a finisher. Strong intuition to find and solve problems using both consumer insight and design thinking.
- Excellent Mac or PC computer skills; computer programming would be an asset
- Must be creative, detail oriented, able to prioritize tasks and work under pressure to successfully meet competing deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively present technical information and respond to questions from non-technical groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Education: BS in Biomechanics, exercise physiology or similar, with performance footwear experience
- Experience: Solid understanding of footwear design, construction and materials. Experience working with biomechanics, footwear and mechanical and physiological testing
At Under Armour, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Under Armour believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.