Sr. Design Manager, Footwear - Innovation
Under Armour is all about performance. Because what we make empowers athletes in every form to push themselves, to turn good into great, and to stay hungry for whatever comes next. And this is exactly what we expect from each other.
Working with us means one key thing: no matter what you do, you see every day and every project as a chance to push your field forward. In every store and every office, we build teams where everyone is an MVP. And together we tackle every challenge head on. Because we work to push the gear, the game, and ourselves farther.
We’re looking for people who do more than good work.
We’re looking for the Best in Every Game.
Under Armour is the chosen brand of this generation of athletes... and the athletes of tomorrow. We're about performance - in training and on game day, in blistering heat and bitter cold. Whatever the conditions, whatever the sport, Under Armour delivers the advantage athletes have come to demand.
That demand has created an environment of growth. An environment where building a great team is vital. An environment where doing whatever it takes is the baseline and going above and beyond to protect the Brand is commonplace.
The world's hungriest athletes live by a code, a pledge to themselves and everyone else: Protect This House... I Will. Our goal is to Build A Great Team! Will YOU…Protect This House?!
Under Armour is looking for a energetic, motivated Senior Product Designer with exceptional problem-solving skills and the ability to design both soft and hard goods. This position is part of the Innovation team; a diverse and dynamic group of artists and engineers who introduce and drive new technology and innovation to all Business Units within Under Armour. The Designer will focus on footwear, apparel and accessories, but have opportunities to touch all parts of the brand, and have access to the latest technologies and sports science. This is an opportunity to be part of a great success story, as Under Armour continues to impact the business like no other company has.
What does this opportunity give me?
- Chance to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ownership. Own your job and be accountable for your work.
- Exposure. The ability to partner with business units across the organization.
- Growth. Potential for career growth is a company initiative.
- Pride. Work for a brand that delivers a consistent message every day.
What will I do at UA?
- Create new concepts that can help drive Under Armour to be the best performance athletic company on the planet.
- Provide product conceptualization, illustration and technical detailing of product, graphics and technical specifications.
- Own a variety of projects ranging from footwear and apparel, to user interface, retail design, color and materials, graphics and presentations.
- Liaise with inline design, development and marketing to express concepts and build ownership.
- Travel to suppliers and factories to implement ground-breaking product.
- Build and modify product to express concepts and try new ideas.
- Explore new materials and manufacturing methods.
- Work on product as part of a collaborative team, not in a silo; be involved from concept through commercialization.
What does UA need from me?
- BFA or BID in Industrial Design with 8 + years product (or similar) design experience
- Solid understanding of footwear and apparel design, construction and materials. Should be versed in manufacturing techniques and have experience working at the factories on development issues.
- A passion for performance and for solving the problems of athletes!
- Desire and ability to take risks, and to take responsibility for results – a finisher
- Expert ability to express concepts and ideas through hand sketching.
- Understanding of patterns, blueprints, molds and materials.
- Must be creative, detail oriented, able to prioritize tasks and work under pressure to successfully meet multiple deadlines.
- Excellent Mac or PC computer skills with full proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Other computer skills: Alias sketchbook pro, Solidworks or Rhino 3D, Microsoft Office.
- Experience, working with factories in Asia and willingness to travel for development trips.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Sewing and/or model making abilities are a big plus.
- Development experience is a plus.
- Strong desire to find and solve problems using consumer insight and design thinking.
Under Armour is an equal employment opportunity employer. We adhere to a policy of making employment decisions without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, citizenship, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status or disability. We assure you that your opportunity for employment with this Company depends solely on your qualifications.