Senior Lead Software Engineer, Services
Under Armour is all about performance. Because what we make empowers athletes in every form to push themselves, to turn good into great, and to stay hungry for whatever comes next. And this is exactly what we expect from each other.
Working with us means one key thing: no matter what you do, you see every day and every project as a chance to push your field forward. In every store and every office, we build teams where everyone is an MVP. And together we tackle every challenge head on. Because we work to push the gear, the game, and ourselves farther.
We’re looking for people who do more than good work.
We’re looking for the Best in Every Game.
Under Armour is the chosen brand of this generation of athletes... and the athletes of tomorrow. We're about performance - in training and on game day, in blistering heat and bitter cold. Whatever the conditions, whatever the sport, Under Armour delivers the advantage athletes have come to demand.
That demand has created an environment of growth. An environment where building a great team is vital. An environment where doing whatever it takes is the baseline and going above and beyond to protect the Brand is commonplace.
The world's hungriest athletes live by a code, a pledge to themselves and everyone else: Protect This House... I Will. Our goal is to Build A Great Team! Will YOU…Protect This House?!
MyFitnessPal is the world's largest diet and fitness tracking smartphone app and website. We focus on using social and gamification elements to motivate users to optimize their exercise and caloric intake. We have the largest database of food and food logging history in the world. In February 2015, MyFitnessPal joined Under Armour's family of connected fitness technology.
MyFitnessPal is looking for extraordinary engineers for our MyFitnessPal Services team. We're keeping ourselves busy by designing and building scalable microservices from the ground up. Our community of over 200 million users provides us with plenty of challenging scaling problems. We are continuously improving our set of services and strengthening the foundation for our mobile and internal applications. We're focused on providing our users with amazing health and fitness experiences.
As a Senior Lead Software Engineer on the MyFitnessPal Services team you will…
- Design and implement high performance scalable data centric microservices
- Work with teams to architect services that implement core MyFitnessPal business logic, provide data persistence and retrieval, and support requests from the MyFitnessPal mobile and web applications
- Provide leadership and mentor other engineers, help them grow technically
- Work closely with product managers and engineers to define customer facing feature requirements and underlying service implementations
- Lead communication with product teams, client teams and other teams in the organization
- Impart technical expertise to improve/refactor existing services and processes
- Perform operational management of the platform and computing infrastructure
- Translate big ideas into simple, elegant solutions
- 9+ years recommended experience writing software within an Agile or similar development environment
- Expertise in best software development practices, patterns, and architecture used to build services that support millions of users
- Expertise with at least two programming or scripting languages and a desire to learn more. Ruby, Scala, Java experience preferred
- Expertise with relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc) and/or NoSQL (MongoDB, Redis, etc.)
- Expertise with high volume Message Queues (Kafka, Resque)
- Expertise with caching strategy and implementation (Memcached, Redis)
- Experience with web application frameworks (Rails, Akka, Finagle, Spring, Django, etc.)
- Production experience with Docker, Amazon Web Services and/or other cloud computing platforms
- Familiarity with continuous integration and deployment strategies
- Familiarity of privacy and security by design principles
At Under Armour, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Under Armour believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.