Senior Technical Designer
Under Armour is all about performance. Because what we make empowers athletes in every form to push themselves, to turn good into great, and to stay hungry for whatever comes next. And this is exactly what we expect from each other.
Working with us means one key thing: no matter what you do, you see every day and every project as a chance to push your field forward. In every store and every office, we build teams where everyone is an MVP. And together we tackle every challenge head on. Because we work to push the gear, the game, and ourselves farther.
We’re looking for people who do more than good work.
We’re looking for the Best in Every Game.
Under Armour is the chosen brand of this generation of athletes... and the athletes of tomorrow. We're about performance - in training and on game day, in blistering heat and bitter cold. Whatever the conditions, whatever the sport, Under Armour delivers the advantage athletes have come to demand.
That demand has created an environment of growth. An environment where building a great team is vital. An environment where doing whatever it takes is the baseline and going above and beyond to protect the Brand is commonplace.
The world's hungriest athletes live by a code, a pledge to themselves and everyone else: Protect This House... I Will. Our goal is to Build A Great Team! Will YOU…Protect This House?!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage one or more product categories from design concept to production garment
- Work with factories and costing teams to optimize garment engineering for fit, performance and cost
- Build and reviews technical packages for one or more categories
- Identifies opportunities for sketch library and process enhancements
- Conducts fit sessions on live models, including size sets
- Able to identify fit issues, perform fit adjustments and communicate changes to improve fit and function
- Directly responsible for creating 2D/3D pattern blocks with advanced understanding of grade rules and size scale manipulation to achieve best fit/visual across a size range
- Leads seasonal fit alignment meetings across category to ensure products meet standards for grade rules, fit consistency, construction and quality
- Analyzes artwork to identify risk, establish artwork standards and troubleshoot quality issues
- Owns cross functional meeting communication for the development team. Must be able to effectively problem solve design, costing, quality and delivery issues
- Independently communicates with vendors to problem solve all issues related to garment engineering
- Manages workload for one or more category. Collaborates with cross functional team to meet calendar deliverables.
- Ability to dynamically deliver product presentations related to fit and construction
- Domestic and overseas travel as necessary
- Lead team of technical designers/product developers in building technical packages including Bill of Materials, specs, pattern blocks, construction, etc.
- Responsible for training and monitoring performance of direct reports
Required Skills and Experience
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Bachelor’s Degree from a 4 year Fashion Design program
- Minimum 6 years technical design or product development experience
- Must have leadership experience including managerial experience
- Advanced 2D patternmaking skills. Must have on the job experience, not classes/theory only
- 3D pattern experience preferred
- Advanced experience fitting on live models and virtual models including size sets
- Advanced knowledge of garment construction
- Expertise building Development & Production Tech Packs
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator, a PLM system, Excel and Gerber or Optitex PDS
- Factory experience preferred
- Must have experience managing a product category
- Must have superior written and verbal communication skills. Must be able to lead product presentations in a clear, concise, engaging manner
At Under Armour, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Under Armour believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.