Designer I, Apparel - Innovation
Under Armour is all about performance. Because what we make empowers athletes in every form to push themselves, to turn good into great, and to stay hungry for whatever comes next. And this is exactly what we expect from each other.
Working with us means one key thing: no matter what you do, you see every day and every project as a chance to push your field forward. In every store and every office, we build teams where everyone is an MVP. And together we tackle every challenge head on. Because we work to push the gear, the game, and ourselves farther.
We’re looking for people who do more than good work.
We’re looking for the Best in Every Game.
Under Armour is the chosen brand of this generation of athletes... and the athletes of tomorrow. We're about performance - in training and on game day, in blistering heat and bitter cold. Whatever the conditions, whatever the sport, Under Armour delivers the advantage athletes have come to demand.
That demand has created an environment of growth. An environment where building a great team is vital. An environment where doing whatever it takes is the baseline and going above and beyond to protect the Brand is commonplace.
The world's hungriest athletes live by a code, a pledge to themselves and everyone else: Protect This House... I Will. Our goal is to Build A Great Team! Will YOU…Protect This House?!
Under Armour is looking for a talented Designer to join the Apparel Innovation team, with a focus on solving problems with skill sets ranging across multiple design practices including; industrial design, apparel design, sketching and prototyping.We are looking for a designer who brings a strong point of view built on your own inspiration and ideas. We need a self-motivated individual that wants to be part of a fast-evolving brand with significant career growth potential. You will work collaboratively with cross functional Apparel, Footwear, Digital & Accessories teammates to create innovative and industry leading apparel.
RESPONSIBILITIES & COMPETENCIES
- Innovative mindset and perspective with a focus in listening, critical thinking, problem solving, future vision, optimism, can-do attitude.
- Knowledge and skills in the use of parametric computational design tools including: Grasshopper and GH plug-in ecosystem, Rhino3d, Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop focus).
- You will create concepts through sketches and renderings centered around technical, functional solves through advanced concepting and prototyping, to give life to technologies and concepts for the Innovation team
- Manage innovation platforms from the design side, inclusive of work load, design direction and problem-solving.
- Key partner across all innovation projects, assisting all design functions, helping ensure projects stay on track
- Design and present advanced concept solutions delivering against long term road map needs.
- Partner with internal and external resources to create first-to- market silhouettes by using untried methods of garment pattern making, assembly, finishing etc.
- Partner with inline design teams in the research/development period of each season toco-create designs solutions.
TO PERFORM THE JOB SUCCESSFULLY, AN INDIVIDUAL SHOULD DEMONSTRATE THE FOLLOWING:
- 3+ years of Design experience required, preferably in the sports industry.
- Analytical - Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops multiple solution paths and is capable of filtering concepts effectively; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics; Self-motivated with the will to finish difficult problems.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Desgin Thinking – A curious mind with experience designing innovative active and lifestyle apparel with commercial success. Fast, efficient, nimble. Experience working in a shifting and collaborative environment with a great deal of constructive feedback and input. Passion every day to design compelling, fun, cutting edge product.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Obsessive attention to detail at the levels of product design, presentation, and specification package creation.
- Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Have experience in:
- Designing product across multiple sports / end uses including lifestyle
- Exceptional Adobe Illustrator and PhotoShop skills. Must be current.
- Strong knowledge of garment construction and textiles, including price points and merchandising needs.
BA or BFA in Apparel Design.
Exceptional hand illustration skills.
At Under Armour, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Under Armour believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.